Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Crossing the Border

Getting myself across the border from the US into Canada is pretty simple. However, I recently learned that getting a package into Canada is another story entirely!

I needed to get a tablecloth and literature stands up to Guelph (don't laugh, that is the name of a real city in Ontario).  That is a particularly expensive venture but I don't know why.  We contracted UPS for the job to get these simple items to me on Tuesday.  I checked on the package at the end of Tuesday and was told by Andy, my friendly UPS customer service rep, it cleared customs at 4:42PM and I would not receive my package until Wednesday.  I was a little miffed that my company paid for delivery on Tuesday and that didn't happen.  I expect that as a delivery expert, UPS would be able to get me that package on Tuesday, seeing as it cleared customs during business hours.  I really don't think that is unreasonable, however, UPS did think it was unreasonable.

UPS was not able to meet a single expectation I had of them. 
  • I expected delivery on Tuesday, FAIL. 
  • I expected them to be able to communicate what was happening when they said they would call me, FAIL.  
  • I expected UPS would be able to arrange for me pick up the package at their delivery center Wednesday morning so I would have it for my trade show, FAIL.
    • Seriously, they couldn't arrange to hold a package in place for me to come to the package!
Well, in the end I got the package.  And I was completely underwhelmed at the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment