Sunday, September 30, 2012

Don't scare me like that!

On my trip home I am the most concerned about being on time.  I am very easy going until you threaten to keep me from my wife and kids. Or if you start playing George Michael music.  Before I left Toronto I believed everything was on time and going to run smoothly.  I believed this because the Delta Airline mobile app told me so.  There is no reason to think technology would lie to me.  When I got to Cincinnati for my layover I found a place to get a chicken sandwich close to my gate.  On a side note, airport food is not worth writing about in great detail.

I had plenty of time to make the next leg of my trip when I checked the Delta mobile app.  I frequently check my tickets and flight status. I am one part paranoid and one part practical because: 1. I lose things and 2. Flight statuses change.  On this occasion it was the latter, it stated my flight home was delayed.  When my Delta app suggested I book another flight I thought it was my glorious savior.  The idea of dealing with a mistake prone person versus my Delta mobile app, a wonder of technology that loves me, was silly.  When the Delta app suggested I book the same flight I was perplexed.  When I asked my buddy, Delta app, a bunch of questions it stared at me without uttering a word of assistance.  My new best friend was acting like it hardly knew me. Now I had to walk to my gate and talk to a mistake prone person from Delta.  After asking the question, "Is everything on time?"  This person answered me with "Yeah, we'll be boarding in about 20 minutes".  There was no delay and I got home to my family waiting for me at the airport.

I was not happy with my technology buddy.  The Delta app is normally accurate and helpful.  With the Delta app you can: check-in, schedule and pay for any checked baggage, change seats, and get your boarding pass.  There are many more features on this app but I don't use them frequently.  I never learned why the Delta app lied to me about my flight delay.  We aren't on speaking terms yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment