Friday, November 16, 2012

Between trips

With Thanksgiving approaching I have a rare 2 week reprieve from travel.  I get to sit back and get everything around the house done I can't always get to normally.  But I am sure you don't care about me organizing the garage and basement for the winter.

I am getting travel plans finalized for the end of the year.  Two milestones I reached on my last trip will make upcoming travel a little better for me.  I received Gold Status in both my Marriott hotel and Delta airline programs.  Earning this status sounds trivial but I appreciate the advantages.  With my airline status I get, in order of importance:
  • Occasional free upgrades to First Class (Read: free drinks!)
  • I get better seating choices in economy class
  • I board earlier, which means I get to put my bag in the overhead compartment before they fill up completely
  • I can fly stand-by or get confirmed on earlier flights the same day for free (this can cost $50 or more)
  • I get a mileage bonus so I earn free flights faster
  • I use special lines for check in and sometimes for security
  • My checked luggage comes out earlier
My hotel status offers me:
  • Bonus points to earn free stuff faster
  • Free room upgrades (not as exciting as the airline upgrades)
  • There are others but they are kind of blase
I know there are those that will say that the status won't earn me more time with my family.  You are correct.  Although, I will enjoy the travel I have to do a little more now.  I won't get my time back with my family but the fact is I travel for my job.  Making that aspect better has a positive impact on my attitude when I return home and I can enjoy more quality time with my loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment