Monday, December 17, 2012

Benefits of travel

I remember as a child I would travel with my family across country in our Oldsmobile.  At the very edge of my memory, I remember my parents took our family to Texas as a combination work trip and vacation.  I traveled on my own as an adult and met many great people.  They were not all strong and lasting friendships but there are a handful I remember fondly to this day.

After college I felt empowered to travel.  My first job out of college was in Alaska working in the commercial fishing industry.  I felt the confidence to leave my home and work in the "Last Frontier".  This led to a career in Seattle where I met my wife with whom I have three beautiful children.

In college my favorite trips took me to Tucson, AZ.  My brother earned his PhD in pharmacology and toxicology from the University of Arizona.  I got to hang out with him and his friends.  We all hiked the mountains and desert in the area.  We had cook outs and went to a few clubs.  My brother and his friends welcomed me into their group. 

One particular guy stands out in my memory.  We wore the same sweater one day and as guys go, when you wear the same outfit you can be life-long buddies.  He was funny and an all-around great guy.  I was not and am not close with him anymore, although my brother is still.  Our distance over the years did not ease my pain when I heard his daughter was a victim of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.  I did not see him since college nor did I ever meet his daughter but by even knowing him briefly I know she is amazing.  I am normally very stoic but I found myself breaking down into tears a couple times for his loss.  This latest tragedy hit a little closer to home, first because of my 6 and 7 year old children, and second by knowing that great guy.

Traveling provided me with many great experiences and opportunities.  I became braver, met great people, started a wonderful family, and now had my heart broken a little deeper last weekend.  I know I can do nothing to assuage the pain and fear of that great guy I met decades ago but he is in my thoughts.  I sincerely wish I could ease his and the other parents pain, even a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment