Saturday, December 22, 2012

Travel Lull

I am grateful to be in a travel lull for my career during the holidays.  Partly because my expenses frequently get cross examined by the company accountant and holiday travel is usually quite expensive.  Mostly because the airports, roads, restaurants, beaches, and tourist attractions are filled with quick tempered folks.  I try to avoid shopping malls all year round.

I am generally perturbed by people that are cranky with service personnel while traveling.  I get doubly surprised by people at this time of year that rarely travel and take out their frustrations with the people helping them.  Something to think about is that if you travel rarely you are probably ignorant of the reasons behind the thing that is frustrating you.  Even when airlines do amazingly stupid things that cause problems with my travel, I make a real effort to not take my frustrations out on the nice person HELPING me.  Please, also consider that the travel industry is a 365 day a year profession.  Just because you are in the airport on your vacation does not mean everyone there is also getting time off for the holidays.  It is just as likely that these people are going to work on Christmas or New Years or both.

We could all learn a little from one of our Christmas songs:
You better watch out
You better not pout
You better not cry
I'm telling you why
The service personnel are only human and they can "accidentally" send your luggage on a better trip than you can afford!

No comments:

Post a Comment