Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Yo Taxi!

I just got back from my first trip of the year.  A sojourn through San Diego and San Francisco that was colder than I hoped.  Business is good and travel is the same, people still crowd the boarding area for the airplane for no good reason and rental car companies still seem to be the least organized group of travel service providers, I'm looking at you AVIS.

I don't normally take taxis since I rent cars, but in San Diego I didn't need a car and I only went to one location.  I forgot to check a few things before I got in the taxi so I want to share my experience so you will know (and I will remember) to be prepared. 

Taking a taxi from an airport is different than hailing one on the street.  Airports control access to taxis and you need to find the taxi stand.  There are signs directing you to the stands, but they vary in effectiveness.  Some signs outright suck, I'm looking at you San Diego International Airport

In busier airports there is a taxi dispatcher on sight that directs you to a cab.  These dispatchers know everything you need to know about taking a taxi.  So ask these folks questions like:
  • Do all taxis take credit cards?  Usually the law requires it in the cities.
    • I know it is hard to believe but taxi drivers will lie to you so you will pay them cash.  Frequently they will try to intimidate you into paying cash at the end of your ride.  This intimidation is usually in the form of a simple statement of "Cash".  Just be firm and tell them they can either take the card or give you the ride for free.  Ignore any huffing or complaints.
  • How much will it cost to get to my hotel?  You should know about where your hotel is located, usually the name of the hotel indicates the neighborhood; for example, Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel.  (Yeah, shameless promotion of a great property.)
    • It does not happen frequently but on occasion taxi drivers will take the long way to your destination.  I usually take a quick glance at my iPhone map app to verify we're not going out of our way.  If you suspect you are taking a long route, copy their name and taxi permit number which will be displayed in the front of the cab and report it to the area taxi commission.  The hotel can help you.
Seriously, taking a taxi is pretty simple so two items to remember is about all I can think of as important.  Enjoy your travels and I'll enjoy mine.

1 comment:

  1. Nice tips! I would like to add one thing. If you plan a trip to Chicago its the easiest anywhere. Follow @ChicagoCabbie on Twitter and send him a DM. Simple! Cash, credit, and there's an app for your phone too, listed under Hailo Chicago. AWESOME app!! Rashid is a good friend, honest, and loved by all. There truly aren't enough good cabbies out there.

    ReplyDelete