Thursday, April 25, 2013

Business Travel Drawbacks

When I tell people I travel 50% for work I get 2 responses:
  1. That must be really cool
  2. That must really suck
The truth is that I can agree with both responses.  I enjoy going around the country and meeting new and interesting people.  I occasionally see and experience new and interesting sites.  I have days full of work activities that can extend through the evening eliminating any chance to get out and see the area.  And I am away from my family and miss important events in their lives.

I am able to schedule a majority of my travel around the most important family events.  The occasions that require my attendance I make sure that I am around.  But I miss mid-week birthdays and we push family birthday celebrations off to the weekend.  I miss soccer, baseball, basketball, rock-climbing, dance, and football practices for my children.

The biggest part of my life that I miss, is not being there for my wife.  We are both busy and we try to partner up on the work that needs to be done around the house.  I know when I am around, and I am helpful, she really appreciates me.  I am grateful that she does not get terribly upset with me for the lack of help I can provide when I am traveling.  I completely understand that when I am present and unhelpful she gets frustrated with me.  (I never help myself by trying to diffuse the situation with humor, someday I'll learn.)

I know quite a lot about how to travel efficiently.  I am continuing to learn how to be a productive family member while traveling all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment