Friday, April 19, 2013

Driving in the USA

I hate to stereotype but I notice geographical driving habits. Some are quirky and some are quite obnoxious.  As a business traveler I am not solely relegated to flying.  I frequently rent cars and occasionally drive great distances for work and vacation.  Some people think I'm crazy because every year, at least once, I drive two days out and two days back from my in-law's property.  The craziness is that I have 3 young children.  They are great travelers and it's quite easy.  I wouldn't attempt it with other people's children.

 As a resident of any state I think it is normal to have some rivalry or animosity towards your neighboring state drivers.  I'm no different.  Illinois drivers drive fast and erratically.  They make lane changes like the cat that suddenly decides they don't like the room they are in and immediately dash to another room.  Minnesota drivers are probably my least favorite group.  They tend to camp out in the passing lane at a mere 5 MPH over the speed limit.  Having to pass a person on the right bugs me.

Other geographies have odd habits, too. 
Wisconsin drivers do a really weird thing when turning onto a busy boulevard.  When the first lane is clear, they'll drive out to the middle of the boulevard and wait for traffic to clear in the next lane.  I've seen Washington State drivers do the same with the center left turn lane on roadways.
 
In Pittsburgh, when the red light changes to green, the drivers in the left turn lane up front gun it to make their turn and beat the on coming traffic.  If the on coming traffic hesitates the second left turn car will try to gun it through, too. 

California drivers fly down the highways, city streets, parking lots, back alleys, everywhere.

Utah drivers are annoyingly polite.  I noticed they will slow down and let you make a lane change no matter where you are in relation to them.  I was being passed by a driver and I planned to pull behind them, so, I turned on my blinker.  The driver slowed way down and let me in front of them and subsequently passed me later.

I imagine the differences of driving habits internationally are vastly different, too.  I hear that traffic in Asian countries is a circus.  I am hoping to see that for myself soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment