Monday, June 17, 2013

Bumped to a new airline

Occasionally delays occur that require the airline you booked with to change your flight to another airline entirely.  Last week, I flew to Philadelphia and had the last flights of the evening.  My flight delay would get me to my connection in Detroit 6 minutes before my connection took off and there were no other flights into Philadelphia on Delta available that night.  Therefore, I was booked on an American Airlines flight.

I am not crying about this change.  I could justify a whiny post because I was delayed, I had to connect in Chicago, and got only 4 hours sleep before I had to present technical data the next day to 2 highly valuable customers.  What I want to share are what you can possibly expect based on my experience.

If you had first class seats you probably won't get them on the next flight.  This is typically a risk even if getting moved to another flight in the same airline.  I would also be prepared for a middle seat because you are getting onto the new flight very late.

You can still get mileage on your loyalty account.  Simply ask for the credited mileage and the staff can estimate what you would normally receive.  You will not get credit for any segments flown but this is better than nothing.

Schedule changes for other reservations are your responsibility.  If you have a rental car reservation and hotel reservation you will need to connect with those groups to avoid losing your reservation or incurring a penalty.  A simple call to the company customer service group will help.  As you can imagine, they are pretty used to these issues.

All in all, I am happy with how things went.  It could have gone much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment