Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Same ticket, different service

You may think that a ticket or reservation is the same no matter where you buy them.  Not necessarily so.  You don't get the same customer service when you buy through a discount travel service.  If everything goes well with your travel schedule you'll be laughing!  (I learned that colloquialism on a recent trip to Vancouver, BC and I love it.  BTW, it means "you will be happy about your decision.")  It's when issues arise that you see the real difference.

You may recall I use an app to help me on my Delta flights.  On my most recent trip to NY I bought my tickets through Expedia.com and thought I got my seats and everything settled.  Turns out, I requested seats but wasn't assigned them for my first flight.  This didn't allow me to get my boarding passes on my iPhone.  As a frequent flier with Delta I assume I get a slightly higher level of service than a recreational flier, which means I get to select my seats when I purchase my ticket.  When I buy through Delta Airlines that is absolutely true but Expedia does not recognize me as a frequently flier, so they treat me like I'm in the song "Message in a Bottle" by the Police.  Now, this did not ruin my trip.  In fact, the total inconvenience amounted to getting a paper ticket when I checked my bag at the counter and then getting my seat assignment at the terminal gate.  Total time wasted in this situation was approximately 90 seconds.


No comments:

Post a Comment